[Spits] Spitfire Shiftless issue

Mackmi at usa.redcross.org Mackmi at usa.redcross.org
Wed May 25 10:42:19 MDT 2011

I have a shifting issue with my Spitfire, and I'm looking for some
suggestions for a fix for it.

1979 Spitfire with OD

Last fall I went for a drive, and it shifted as it should.  I stopped at
a Store. When I started it would not go into gear.  I was about 15 miles
from home, and didn't want to call the wife or a tow truck.

I was able to start the car in 1st, then coax it into 2nd, then 3rd and
limp home.  At each stoplight, I had to shut off the car and start
again.

I figured that I needed to bleed my clutch, and I would be all set.  It
was last bled about 5 years ago.  New Master, Slave, pipe, and DOT 5
Silicone fluid then.

I bled the heck out of it last night.  Didn't fix the problem.  No
Shifting.

So what's next?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Mack