[Spits] Questions about an alternator conversion

Andrew Lindeman andrew.lindeman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 15:27:19 MDT 2009

I recently replaced a broken generator with a Bosch alternator on my
1970 Mk. 3.  I followed the instructions on the VTR site about which
wires to tie together to eliminate the old voltage regulator, and have
the alternator itself installed and wired up.  The problem I'm having,
is that the alternator is not getting the signal to turn on.  I pulled
two wires off the back of the generator, a small brown/green wire, and
a large brown/yellow wire.  I have the large wire attached to the
battery positive lug on the alternator, and the brown/green wire
connected to the field positive.  If I jump the brown/green wire to
battery positive, the circuit starts charging.  When I take a look at
the voltage coming off the brown/green wire, I only get about two
volts.  Does anyone know what this voltage *should* be?  My multimeter
tells me that brown/green wire went to the old voltage regulator.
According to the VTR site, I tie together the small brown/green and
small brown/yellow wires from the voltage regulator box, which is
done.  Does anyone know where that small brown/yellow wire goes from
the voltage regulator circuit?  I do not have a wiring diagram.

Andy L.