[Spits] Rear spring GT6

ZoboHerald at aol.com ZoboHerald at aol.com
Thu Dec 25 20:29:52 MST 2008

In a message dated 12/25/2008 7:34:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jimmuller at rcn.com writes:

The  Spitbits website lists a different part number for early
Spitfires,  swing-spring Spitfires, Mk2 and early Mk3 GT6, and Mk1 and
later Mk3  GT6.  Certainly the GT6 spring is not the same as the
Spitfire's for  any suspension setup.  But the curious thing is that
they listed only  one spring as Mk1 and Mk3 after KF20001.  Can't tell
from the picture  whether it is the swing-spring or not.  However this
suggests that  either they don't offer have both early and very late
GT6 springs or  Triumph reverted to the non-swing spring in '73.  I
suspect the  former.

==AM==
Seems odd. Yes, the late (1973 model year) GT6 Mk3 did use the swing spring
along with the longer swing axles, as did Spitfires of that vintage. But the
"original" GT6 used the old-style spring...leading to some occasionally
startling handling characteristics that, in turn, prompted the development of  the
Roto-flex suspension of the MkII/+ and early Mk3 models. I suppose it's
possible that no one still makes a replacement spring for the "Mk1" GT6, but I
don't know (and haven't researched it).

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.
--  Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)

Triumph 10 /  Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: _http://www.vtr.org_ (http://www.vtr.org/)

Check out the North  American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: _http://triumph-herald.us_ (http://triumph-herald.us/)
Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.