[Spits] help on gearbox disassembly

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Mon Dec 15 20:18:31 MST 2008

I know it's supposed to be the reverse of re-assembly, but I'm still
stuck on a few points.

GT6 3-rail gearbox, no OD.  I've got the top off, speedo drive
removed, rear flange removed from the output shaft.  The Haynes
manual which I'm trying to follow gives two instructions, one to
remove the nut on the flange and remove the flange, and another to
remove the flange.  I don't quite get what they're driving at; why
two instructions unless there' something about the first that I
missed.  It looks like there is a rubber seal and a bearing in the
extension housing.

Anyway, the next step is to pull the extension off the box "by
tapping underneath the mounting stud with a leather mallet."  Yeah,
right.  The picture shows someone casually pulling the extension from
over the shaft, but I'm not there yet.  I've managed to lift the
extension from the box by maybe 1/16th inch, just enough to break the
gasket seal so I have to finish the job.  But it looks like it is
being held in place by that bearing possibly pressed into the end.
Is the proper technique just to keep tapping so as to move a bearing
off the shaft?  Do I need to remove that seal first?

I'm starting to wonder why I'm doing all this.  The box sure looks
good inside to my casual inspection.  But now I'll have to re-seat
that gasket or else force enough Hylomar into the space to seal it.

So what's the magic incantation to pull that extension off?  Is it
just another pint of ale?  I suppose I should be using a Bentley
manual but it turns out mine is for the single-rail box in a 1500.
Don't know whether it would be different.

Thanks!

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com