[Spits] Suspension updates

Joe Curry spitlist at cox.net
Fri Aug 31 23:51:19 MDT 2007

-----Original Message-----

I am currently planning on using the Moss red lowering springs up front.  My
original thought was to use Spax adjustable shocks all around with the ride
height adjustable ones up front.  Lately I've been moving toward using
Koni's for their legendary performance even though I'd sacrifice the height
adjustment.  I do like the idea of saving a few bucks there also that can be
used elsewhere in the project.  Does anyone have experience with both that
could provide info about the difference in handling/ride between the two
brands?
+++++++++++++++++++
I tried the SPAX front shocks with adjustable ride height and discovered
that compared to their non adjustable counterparts, the only adjustment is
higher.  I found that ridiculous and sent them back.  I think the SPAX are
pretty good as a rule but the Konis are probably better although more
expensive.
++++++++++++++++++

For the rear spring, I am planning on using the heavy duty spring from
British Parts Northwest.  I was mostly hoping to prolong the time before it
sags horrendously again.  Has anyone used this spring that can compare it's
stiffness to the stock spring?  Will it make the car significantly stiffer?
I want the car to handle well, but don't really want to make it overly
harsh.

++++++++++++++++++
I can't speak to that because I hate the swing-spring setup and can't see
any use in trying to make it better.  I was running rotoflex rear before
converting the whole thing over to coil-overs and adding heavy leaves to a
stock GT6 spring works well.  You can replace the swing spring with a heavy
fixed one and the car will have much better handling characteristics because
of the reduced body roll.  I make a camber compensator for the long axle
cars if you need to control wheel tuck associated with the early fixed
spring cars.

I used polyurethane bushings in the suspension on my '64 Chevelle and really
liked the way they tightened things up, so I have been planning to put those
in the suspension.  I am not so sure about the differential mounts though.
Seems like that is a location that could really transmit some vibration to
the car.  Anyone have any input on that one?