[Spits] Suspension updates

Joe & Lowetta joe at ados.net
Fri Aug 31 23:37:45 MDT 2007

I am in the planning stages of a significant overhaul of the brakes and
suspension on my '73 Spitfire.  Some of the items to be addressed are:

New master cylinder
Rebuilt calipers
Stainless braided brake hoses
Slotted and cross drilled rotors
Ceramic brake pads

Polyurethane bushings for all of the front suspension
New front trunions
Sway bar bushings and end links
New adjustable shocks and springs front & rear
Differential bushings

I bought the car about 5 years ago and made some necessary repairs, so some
items are not in need of repair at this time.  It got all new rear brakes
(wheel cylinders, shoes and springs), rear trunnions rebuilt, one new rear
wheel bearing and half shaft u-joint and trailing arm bushings.  All the
other rear suspension parts were inspected and were nice and tight including
all the other u-joints and bushings. The rear spring does have the usual sag
but is otherwise undamaged.

There are a few things I haven't made up my mind on and thought I'd ask what
others with more experience in this type of work think about some of the
choices yet to be made.

I am currently planning on using the Moss red lowering springs up front.  My
original thought was to use Spax adjustable shocks all around with the ride
height adjustable ones up front.  Lately I've been moving toward using
Koni's for their legendary performance even though I'd sacrifice the height
adjustment.  I do like the idea of saving a few bucks there also that can be
used elsewhere in the project.  Does anyone have experience with both that
could provide info about the difference in handling/ride between the two
brands?

For the rear spring, I am planning on using the heavy duty spring from
British Parts Northwest.  I was mostly hoping to prolong the time before it
sags horrendously again.  Has anyone used this spring that can compare it's
stiffness to the stock spring?  Will it make the car significantly stiffer?
I want the car to handle well, but don't really want to make it overly
harsh.

I used polyurethane bushings in the suspension on my '64 Chevelle and really
liked the way they tightened things up, so I have been planning to put those
in the suspension.  I am not so sure about the differential mounts though.
Seems like that is a location that could really transmit some vibration to
the car.  Anyone have any input on that one?

Any impressions or advice about any of this or suggestions of anything I may
be overlooking would be greatly appreciated.  I'm trying to make the car
handle better while retaining some level of comfort.  The car is mostly used
just for fun, but I do occasionally use it for commuting (it gets better
mileage than anything else I have), so I'm not willing to give up all ride
quality for handling prowess.

Thanks,
Joe Frakes

'73 Spit 1500