[Shop-talk] Perfect "Granny" find

Jim Juhas james.f.juhas at snet.net
Sun Feb 12 09:51:05 MST 2023

Eric,

Temporary registration varies by state, of course, so it depends on
where you are or where it came from. I'm in Connecticut and we can get a
temporary registration but it's very short term (10 - 20 days) and
requires paying the sales tax at that point and proof of insurance. But
in PA it's quite different. In 2017 I bought a Boxster from PA and the
transport process was easy and offered some extended benefits. It gave
me a one month (maybe 28 days?) registration, no sales tax required, and
proof of insurance was only to show I was covered on some other policy.
I drove the car back to CT where I then used up most of the time back in
Connecticut while I resolved an emission issue.

And in PA you can register the car at a Notary office, NO DMV!

If you are lucky enough to know someone who will loan a dealer plate
then that is by far the easiest.

I have also used trailers to move stuff around, and that avoids all
registration issues.

In any event, regardless of requirements, it's a good idea to insure it
because you don't want to lose your investment. Bad stuff happens.

Jim