[Shop-talk] Battery powered chain saws

Mark Andy marka at maracing.com
Sat May 7 11:32:36 MDT 2022

Howdy,

My normal advice is to stick with the battery ecosystem that you're already
in, but maybe that doesn't work here...

I have the Milwaukee 18v chainsaw and it's been great for my (fairly light
overall) use.  No issues to speak of.  When I needed to clean up an 18"+
tree that fell, it even did that fine, as long as I kept feeding it
batteries.  For really heavy cuts, I needed to use the HD batteries or it
would draw enough current to shut the saw down due to battery overheat (at
least, I assume that's what was happening)  Wasn't an issue with the HD 9
or 12 batteries I had.

My dad has a Stihl battery saw he got probably 5-ish years ago?  AFAIK he
has no complaints with that at all.

If I were buying without a battery ecosystem in mind, I would probably tend
toward the Stihl, just because of the name.  But I'll be interested to hear
what others have to say!

Mark