[Shop-talk] Battery powered chain saws

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Sat May 7 11:19:25 MDT 2022

Here is an article I wrote on them for the 'best and worst' in Farm Show
Magazine...  In short, stay away from the DeWalt and get the Milwaukee.

I love DeWalt products, but their 18” electric chainsaw has two major
design flaws that makes it a ‘worst buy.’ (Note, it goes by many different
model numbers, all to date have these issues.)
You can search the internet and see that these are known issues with them.
The first is that the bar is held on by a single plastic knob, which has a
‘clutch’ to prevent over tightening.  However, it does not provide effort
support for the bar.  The chain easily jumps out of the bar. The second
problem is that the chainsaw will leak all its bar oil when you set it
down.  There is a screw hole to hang it in a position that prevents the
leak but transporting it in a car or on a quad will allow the oil to leak
all over and you will need to refill it when you get where you are going.
DeWalt’s official response is to drain the oil before transportation. That
is not practical nor acceptable.
In contrast, the Milwaukee 18” electric chainsaw is light years better. It
does not leak oil at all.  The bar is held on with the standard two
screws.  The tool for the screws is actually stored under the handle to
make it even more convenient.
To be fair, both chainsaws have excellent battery options. This makes it
easy to tailor runs times to weight. Both have a very narrow kerf to allow
them to preform like their gas-powered brothers.  If it was not for
DeWalt’s two design flaws, either would be a great addition to any
logger’s kit.  Note, these chainsaws are not going to fell 12” or bigger
trees, but are ideal for delimbing down trees, or even bucking the logs.
I have contacted DeWalt about the issues and they did not provide any
meaningful response.  I am a firewood producer, so I put my gear to the
test daily.

Moose