[Shop-talk] Freight shippers to avoid

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 17:18:29 MDT 2022

I can't speak as a SHIPPER using UPS freight, but having received a couple
shipments from others using their service I really don't like them.  They
claim that they will deliver to a residential address with liftgate
service, but, more often than not they will refuse to make the final
delivery.  Twice now, after I paid for lift gate service, I got a call from
UPS saying I had to pick up my shipment at a distribution center.  I can
understand not wanting to pull in the driveway with a semi or long straight
truck, but other shippers I have received form would al least set the load
down on the curb or transfer it to my pickup on the street at my home.  I'm
not sure why UPS even offers liftgate service if they won't actually
provide it when the shipment comes in.

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 1:01 PM <eric at megageek.com> wrote:

> One thing I found is to NOT use any of the 'we'll find the best shipping
> quote for you' places.
>
> Specifically Freightquote.com
> They will give you a great price quote.  Then arrange everything and
> you'll package will get picked up and delivered, but then you'll get hit
> with TONS of fees and penalties.  (The package was heavier then you stated,
> it was larger, it wasn't packaged properly, etc.)  They will tell you the
> SHIPPERS are the ones charging the fees so you don't get mad at them.  THEY
> are the ones 'underquoting' the price then charging you more.
>
> I ship infrequently at best, and had hit or miss luck with most companies
> directly.
>
> However I found and love UPS freight.  I got this tip from a buddy of mine
> that ships TONS of packages all the time from his business.
>
> Call UPS and open a freight account.  Be honest with your shipping needs
> (as long as you plan to ship more in the future.)  Then once they open the
> account, you should be talking to a local rep.  Ask them to please discount
> your price by 40%.  They should do it.  That is all there is to it!
>
> I use them all the time.  They are GREAT, reliable and very cost
> effective.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Moose
>

> From:        "Tim ." <tims_datsun_stuff at outlook.com>
> To:        "Shop  Talk" <shop-talk at autox.team.net>
> Date:        03/28/2022 13:09
> Subject:        [Shop-talk] Freight shippers to avoid
> Sent by:        "Shop-talk" <shop-talk-bounces at autox.team.net>
> ------------------------------
>

> Hi all,
>
> Looking to have a crate of engines shipped to Long Beach.
>
> I can go online easily enough to get shipping quotes. What I need to know
> is if there are shippers to absolutely avoid.
>
> thanks
>
> Shop-talk at autox.team.net
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/eric@megageek.com

= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =