[Shop-talk] Zero turn radius lawnmower

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Fri Mar 25 17:24:58 MDT 2022

I have a 1978 Hustler Excel 278 zero turn with Hydrostatic.

This thing is a TANK!!! In fact, it's name is "killdozer!"  I got it about
25 years ago and did minimal maintenance to it over the years.

About 5 years ago, I decided to upgrade to a motor with electronic
ignition.  I bought a new Kolher (direct replacement) for about $1200.
Then I video'ed the existing motor running before I removed it.  I put it
on ebay and it sold for about $800.  Note, there were no issues with the
engine, I was just tired of dealing with the points.
New motor in and all is well.

I had someone look at the drive wheel pumps a while ago, and they stated
they most likely can't be rebuilt.  But they are still working, so I'm not
too worried about it.

Note- this is a mower in the summer and snow plow/snow blower in the
winter.

Still runs awesome!

So, if your mower is built well, and there is a direct replacement engine,
I would consider that the best/ most cost effective option.

BTW, here is a short video of it with the snow blower (and enclosed cab.)
https://youtu.be/Y8WGm5EINjY

That thing ROCKS!