[Shop-talk] Measuring ozone

lee at automate-it.com lee at automate-it.com
Mon Nov 8 18:36:13 MST 2021

Pat,

It's a tough question - if you've got $XX,XXX then you can get a great
environmental-lab quality monitor, and it will work well, accurately,
for a long time. Like this one from Thermo-Fisher
https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/49IQ. But I know
that's not in the plan.

For $100+ it looks like you can get this Chinese option - reviews are
not too bad, but who knows?
https://usa.banggood.com/PM2_5-O3-Ozone-Detector-TVOC-Air-Quality-Tester-USB-Instrument-2_8-LCD-Screen-Carbon-Dioxide-Formaldehyde-Dust-Haze-Meter-p-1710079.html

But since I'm a chemist with access to ACS publications, I've attached a
paper from Journal of Chemical Education (2005), describing how to set
up a lab experiment for undergrad students to make this measurement. Not
expensive if you already have a lab set up - but will likely cost you a
lot more than the Chinese monitor just to put together all the reagents
and equipment. Still, it may provide enough info to give you some ideas
about how to go about doing this. So, enjoy!

  - Lee

There's a relatively inexpensive