[Shop-talk] What's the deal with impact torx sockets?

David Scheidt dmscheidt at gmail.com
Sun May 30 21:54:18 MDT 2021

On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 9:16 AM Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate at gmail.com> wrote:

> "WHY DO THEY USE TORX IN HIGH TORQUE APPLICATIONS?"
>
> Umm, because they are exceeding the spec?  The biggest Torx bit I've
> ever needed was a T30.  Max torque is around 25 lb-ft.
>
> What the heck are you working on that you're a.) needing an impact?
> and b.) snapping bits?  Something doesn't sound normal.

Big torx fasteners are used for caliper bolts (t55 is a common size),
seat belt bolts, door hardware, head bolts, truck bed mounting bolts,
and all sorts of stuff.  Some of them are ungodly tight to start with,
and corrosion hasn't made them any easier to remove.  Stuff like seat
belt bolts are usually have loctite as well.  They get used because
torx can transmit more torque than a standard hex bolt, an allen bolt,
or many other head styles.  They're also well suited for automatic
installation methods.

The high torque they can handle is only true when the bit is inserted
properly, full depth, square to the head.  If it's cocked, or not in
all the way, it will strip.  if the fastener head is damaged (someone
used the wrong tool to install it or to attmept to remove it.) you
will have problems too.  You need to make sure the fastener is clean
(spray something in it, and use a pick to pick out the crap), make
sure you use the right size bit, make sure it's installed right (tap
it in with a hammer).  I'm not a big fan of using impact tools to
remove torx bits, but if you do, get ones with the shortest bit
possible (reduces twist, and breaking from that).  Astro sell a nice
set, I think.

Also, make damn sure you don't have torx plus fasteners.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt at gmail.com