[Shop-talk] Mower blade orientaaion relative to piston

old dirtbeard dirtbeard at gmail.com
Tue May 18 20:38:02 MDT 2021

Hi Bob,

I believe you, of course, but I have never heard this before.  I have a
Craftsman 21" walk behind and I usually sharpen the blade and do
maintenance this month, so I think I will see if the engine will fire with
the blade removed for sharpening.

For this to make sense to me, there would need to be some sensor on the
blade, or they are using iron mass of the blade as part of the inductance
field to signal the position for coil firing. The aluminum sump of the
motor protrudes through the steel deck of the mower, so I suppose it is
possible. There is quite an air gap between the blade and the sump of the
engine, however.

You have me very curious and I will let you know if the mower will fire
without the blade attached (if it does, I will not let it run as it is hard
to predict what would happen without that flywheel attached to the
crankshaft).

best,

doug