[Shop-talk] Milwaukee chainsaw

Mark Andy marka at maracing.com
Wed May 12 15:25:46 MDT 2021

Howdy,

I have the Milwaukee chain saw.  AFAIK there's only one version of the 16"
M18 saw?

I've had good luck with buying Milwaukee from Home Depot and
CPOMilwaukee.com (which is really cpooutlets).  I probably wouldn't buy
from Amazon just due to fears that batteries seem a bit more likely to be
counterfeited there (maybe that fear is out of date).

If you're not in a hurry, chances are you'll be able to find some type of
deal where its bundled with other tools.  The HD batteries do work better
in the chainsaw, but if all you're doing is limbing stuff, it may not
matter.  I've used mine to cut up trees >16" diameter and in that type of
use the HD12 and HD9 batteries do better with continuous sawing without
overheating as compared to the 'regular' m18 batteries.

If you do decide you're going to want the HD batteries, you're almost
certainly not going to want to buy them separately as Milwaukee (like
everyone else) is VERY proud of them.

All of that said... My dad has a Stihl electric saw and it also seems like
a heavy duty saw.  In my case all of my battery stuff is Milwaukee so
staying in the family was good in terms of battery use across all my
tools.  If I didn't have that constraint, I would look hard at the Stihl at
a minimum and probably all the rest of them as well.

Mark