[Shop-talk] [OT] Unbelievable

Jim Stone 1789alpine at gmail.com
Tue May 4 07:07:50 MDT 2021

Sadly, my experience has been that big (and too often, not-so-big) box employees are either inadequately trained or simply lack the motivation to put any work into looking for something that is not readily obvious.  I went into a Tractor Supply store last week to buy Cotton Picker Spindle Grease 00, which I am sure is not a frequently purchased item.  (FWIW, I want to see if it is a good lubricant to use in my Alpine’s steering gear, since traditional gear oil often leaks out and regular grease is often too thick.). Their website showed the store carried it, but the kid who helped me looked through the motor oil section and said they didn’t have it.  I suggested that it might be somewhere else, but he was adamant that it would be with the auto oils and additives.  I eventually found another employee willing to look harder and they had about a dozen bottles in a completely different section just a few rows away.

This has happened to me more times than I wish to count, and I now rarely accept the first “we don’t have it” response and often just find it on my own.

Jim

p.s.  Writing the above reminds me of an experience more than 30 years ago.  We had just moved into a new home and needed smoke detectors.  I did some research on them and discovered that there were then two types, photoelectric and ionization.  I don’t remember which type I decided to get, but went to a local big box store (the national chains hadn’t taken over yet) and was studying their detector display.  A young girl came over and asked if I needed any help.

“Yes I do.  Can you tell me which ones are photoelectric and which are ionization?”
“Oh no, sir.  They all run on batteries."