[Shop-talk] Automatic Transmission Question

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Jun 8 13:47:56 MDT 2021

re: "... Think the shock-loading on the trans and drivetrain parts
shifting in and out of gear at stop lights is harder on things than just
leaving it in gear ..."

Isn't the transmission going to drop into low(est) gear at a stop, then
upshift through all 3/4/5/6/8/9/10 gears when you accelerate anyway? I
usually put the AT into park at a stop (and have for years with no
issues--but I don't drive an AT all that much).  I see a LOT of cars
with at least one brake light burnt out--you used to get a fix-it ticket
for that, but not anymore apparently--and always figured it's due to
people standing on the brakes through every stop light (and tailgating
and riding the brakes a lot, too). At worst, I figure I'm using the
shifting rods a bit more, and with a torque converter it's not like
dumping a clutch (which /is/ pretty rough on a drivetrain). Without
brakes, an AT car wants to creep forward, so by holding it stopped
something has to be wearing (clutches, bands?).

Anyway, interesting topic. If there's solid evidence that shifting into
park or neutral is truly bad, I will change my habit. I /always /put my
Healeys in neutral at a stop; standing on the clutch prematurely wears
the graphite release 'bearing,' and if my foot were to slip with cross
traffic or someone in a crosswalk ...

Bob

ps. I presume everybody here knows the proper technique for parking an
AT car on a hill, right (brake on, transmission in neutral, parking
brake on, transmission in park)?