[Shop-talk] What's the deal with impact torx sockets?

Karl Vacek stearman809 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 14:20:07 MDT 2021

I had Torx caliper bolts once, as I recall it was on my 94 Mustang.  Maybe
T-55?  First time I had to do brakes I needed a bit for the bolts, so I
found a Snap-On guy (everyone knows that they're the only thing worth buying
and so 5 times the price of regular tools) and paid an atrocious price for a
bit.  Snapped right off, before loosening the first bolt.  Desperate, on a
Sunday, I went to NAPA and bought whatever kind they had on the wall
display, well under $5.00.  Worked just fine, and did several additional
brake jobs on that car over the next few years.  Used it on gas lift struts
on Suburbans too.  Still fine.

Snap-On did give me a new bit, but that involved finding the same guy to
order the bit and then get it.  Took weeks and miles of driving.  It's still
unused, in the drawer next to the one that works.

FWIW, I have great luck with Torx, and only buy Torx construction screws if
I have a choice.  Way less likely to round out than Allen head, and
certainly miles ahead of square drive.  Now Phillips drywall screws and
bits.   Grrrr

Karl