[Shop-talk] "Smart" garage heater

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Fri Jul 2 08:49:35 MDT 2021

PJ,

I was considering doing something similar.  The heater I have keeps
the fan running for a couple of minutes when the thermostat stops
calling for heat.  While it can handle having the power cut
completely, the manufacturer said that doing that repeatedly was bad
for the heater and could shorten its life.  My plan was instead to
wire the relay into the line going to the thermostat so it would
continue to function in the usual way.  The relay being open would be
the same as the thermostat being open, not calling for
heat.  Unfortunately, this thought experiment is as far as I have
gotten.  This project remains on my "maybe I'll get to it someday" list.

-Steve T.