[Shop-talk] "Smart" garage heater

PJ McGarvey pj_mcgarvey at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 2 07:29:23 MDT 2021

I've recently been enjoying the benefits of adding a smart plug (https://wyze.com/wyze-plug.html) to the AC unit in my detached workshop/garage so I can remotely turn it on and off, and also monitor it using a remote temp/humidity sensor from Govee. Makes it easy to turn on the AC before I decide to go out there, or turn it off if I decide not to. I've also added one to our attic fan for those really hot days.

This has me thinking it would be great to be able to do this with my hardwired electric heater as well for the winter months. I've used this heater for a few years now and find it does a great job to maintain temps but can take a few hours to get the temps up on the colder days:  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Comfort-Zone-17065-BTU-Ceiling-Mount-Electric-Fan-Forced-Industrial-Utility-Heater-Furnace-with-Safety-Overheat-Protection/1003054570?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-sol-_-google-_-pla-_--_-sosheatingandcoolers-_-1003054570-_-0&placeholder=null&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8vqGBhC_ARIsADMSd1DJfbgivVS-Z2JpGFJV22vCzRj8CZB6sI-z5FXzgVIAXGz0e0J5bNwaAt0hEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I had been thinking the only way to do it was to add a "smart" breaker to the subpanel I have in the garage but those seem a bit pricey and was wondering if it would be good for the unit to power it on and off repeatedly using the breaker.

I was amazed to find that someone did a nice writeup on adding automation to this exact heater model using some pretty affordable pieces: https://thesmartcave.com/how-to-make-smart-garage-heater/

I have plenty of time to plan this out before cold weather, but was curious if anyone has done something like this, something similar to automate hardwired devices like heaters, or thinks this is a safe way to go about it?

Thx
PJ