[Shop-talk] Need expertise: External halogen floodlight replacement

The Corvair Kid kentsu at corvairkid.com
Mon Feb 15 16:57:43 MST 2021

Hi all,

I am looking into replacing two long-serving halogen floodlights on the
exterior of my shop with LED units. I could use some help from the group in
understanding what choices provide an apples-to-apples replacement (or
better), in terms of overall brightness and similar coverage.

The existing units are Heath/Zenith Model SL-5525. A picture of one of them
is attached, as are pictures of a couple of pages of the installation
instructions (yes, I saved them from nearly 20 years ago!). These units each
use a single 250-Watt T3 bulb, which the Interwebz claims provide 4000
lumens. The lights are mounted approximately 15 feet above ground and shine
onto a bare concrete driveway.

As you can see, these units have both motion and light sensors, the
functionality of which I intend to carry forward into any LED replacements
being considered. In addition, I do not wish to remove or replace the
existing electrical box extensions mounted on the shop exterior. The wood is
clear cedar and I don't want to deal with fading or differing hole sizes. I
realize that this constrains my replacement choices a fair amount, since (it
appears) relatively-few LED lights use a standard round mounting plate. The
mounting location under the eave also restricts the size of any replacement
fixture. (Some high-lumen LEDs that I have found are quite large in size.)

With help from an electrical and lighting supplier near me, one candidate
(the only one so far) is made by OLF. A spec sheet is attached. As you can
see, the manufacturer claims that the two LED heads provide a total of 2160
lumens. The lighting supplier said that, due to the directionality of LEDs,
1/2 the number of lumens are needed for equivalent brightness to halogen.

So, group - any comments or recommendations would be most helpful. Do you
agree with the "LEDs can have 50% fewer lumens" claim? Any knowledge or
experience about the coverage ("cone") of a single halogen vs. 2 LEDs at ~15
feet height? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,

--Kent