[Shop-talk] blast cabinet light upgrade/improvements badly needed

Michael Burdick salty1249y at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 12:53:44 MST 2021

I did this 5 or 6 years ago now, so there are better "plug and play"
options now, but I used two LED strips mounted to a piece of aluminum angle
(a scrap I had lying around).  Each strip is about 11.5 inches long, so the
two together span the width of the 24" view window on my cabinet nicely.  I
mounted them temporarily-permanently at the top edge of the window with
duct tape so that the LED strips sitting flat on the glass.  Works like a
charm.  I do have to replace the duct tape every so often...

The strips I used put out 450 lumens each so I get 900 lumens total into
the blast cabinet with no glare since they are flat on the glass with the
aluminum covering them.  The manufacturer recommended mounting them to
aluminum bar for heat dissipation and had a special adhesive for that.  I
also had to buy a power supply.

More recently, I bought a set of strips on Amazon for under-cabinet
lighting at my work bench that would probably be just about as good for
less money and less effort as it was totally plug and play.

Hope this helps,
Mike