[Shop-talk] Torque wrenches

Eric Russell ejrussell61 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 10:30:42 MST 2021

I have an old (1970's vintage) Craftsman beam type torque wrench. The
advantage is that it should never go out of calibration. The downside is
one has to be able view the scale straight on. I use it for cylinder heads
where I can easily see the scale and want to be sure of the accuracy. I
also have a Craftsman clicker (1990's vintage) that is useful for
situations where I can't easily see the beam wrench's scale. I carefully
store it and use the beam wrench to check its accuracy.

I also have a couple of cheap Harbor Freight clickers. Those go in my
travelling tool box that I take to the race track. They are accurate (!)
and I use them for things like lug nuts where I only want to know that they
are approximately torqued (wheels falling off are frowned upon). And if
they should get stolen or lost I wouldn't have to eat PB&J for a week or
two.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

--