[Shop-talk] weird windshield wiper problem

john niolon jniolon at att.net
Tue Feb 2 16:20:43 MST 2021

I installed Speciality Wipers in my  53 F-100 truck and of course it goes in up
close to the windshield first and then everything is layered over it. It uses a
cable/transmission arrangement the the motor (in the kick panel pushes and
pulls the cable through a soft aluminum tube that actuates the wiper
transmissions.
The motor end of the tube is flared and mounts in a slot in the motor housing.

well something got hung or fouled and causes a problem.. the cable fouled (or
something) and when the motor pushed against the cable it had enough umph to
push the cable and tubing out of the motor housing tearing the flare off and
mangling the end of the tube. Seems a simple fix except to repair properly
I'd have to remove the center console, remove the a/c cover place, remove the a/c-heater unit to get to the piece of tubing between the motor and the right hand transmission. That ain't
gonna happen.

I have been able to cut the bad end of the tube and re-flare (that was fun
...not) but when trying to put cable back in the tubing I found it was damaged
enough that the cable
won't pass easily... or actually at all... I need a way to get the tubing reshaped so the cable will slide easily thru it. I can only move the tube about 1" away from the motor...no way to remove the tube without removing all of the above stated.

I tried passing a 1/4" diameter rod thru and it works but when I try the actual size thru the tube (5/16") it binds up in the first two or three inches of the tube. I tried to tap a 5/16" rod thru the tube to stretch it back in shape but I have no way to hold the tube steady (one hand) hold the rod at the mouth of the tube (second hand) and tap the rod with a hammer (third hand) to reshape the tube. (and no room for a helper.) All while laying on my side between the seat and the door jamb. and working sideways toward the kick panel area. I'm
looking for enlightenment and innovative solutions. Keep in mind that the
interior is finished so heat is probably out of the question.  One idea
I'm considering is a 5/16" drill bit up thru the tube to clear the obstruction … if I can get the drill and drill motor in position to do that

this is where I'm
working... and that little space is tough on an old  fat man with a bad hip and
shoulders.   You guys are always coming up with genius solutions to hard
problems...  dazzle me !!

john