[Shop-talk] building off of a vinyl siding wall

john niolon jniolon at att.net
Thu Sep 24 20:05:35 MDT 2020

we built an addition onto the house and
it's covered in standard run of the mill vinyl siding.  Off that we built a 12wx10d p.t. deck.  The deck is accessed by a double French door with only one moving door.  I either want to
add an awning over the door or maybe cover the entire deck with a roof...  The vinyl siding copies lap siding and doesn't
offer a nice flat surface to attach a header to.  What is the approved method
for attaching something
permanent to a vinyl sided wall.  There is particle board beneath the siding
and of course it's a studded wall so I have a sound surface to use but don't
know about the siding  and attaching over it...  Suggestions ??  the pic is
not the actual wall just a sample of what it is.

john