[Shop-talk] Balancing wheels

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Sun Sep 6 05:03:49 MDT 2020

Jeff writes...

>I was always under the impression that new tires had a stamp that
indicated either the heavy spot or the light spot - it was meant to be
mounted next to the valve stem

Yes, there is a yellow dot on the tire that is supposed to go with the
stem.

So, here is what I did.  I took the 4 tires and went to a buddy mechanic
of mine.  He balanced all 4 tires on his $12 Snap on machine with a bunch
of upgrades.

I then took the tires home and put them on my machine.  I ran them all in
different modes and found that I need to use the 'steel' wheel setting,
and it will be right on. (even though these are Al rims.)

So the next set of tires I'll try this out on.

Waldo Emerson
-Who is John Galt?