[Shop-talk] Drilling a hole in aluminum oil pan

Miq Millman miq at bigllama.com
Mon Oct 5 15:29:00 MDT 2020

Thanks for all the feedback.

I ended up pulling the pan and windage tray and drilling / tapping the hole
for the 1/2 NPT.

Bonus: by pulling the oil pan  I could apply ultra grey rtv on the inside
threads of the adapter as well as the outside.

I'm using AN10 hose because previously the AN8 was causing too much oil to
stay in the turbo housing...which probably was due to switching to a high
volume billet oil pump.

As far as my "short cut method" -- that's what is in the instructions for
Flyin'Miata turbo installs (
https://www.flyinmiata.com/support/instructions/turbos/all_turbos.pdf, see
page 12).  No idea how many kits Bill has sold over the years, but I'd
guess it's in the multiple 1000's range.

Kinda wish I had access to a tig welder then could have welded up the drain
properly overkill....

--
__
Miq Millman   miq at bigllama.com