[Shop-talk] Fog and Driving Lights

Jim Stone 1789alpine at gmail.com
Mon May 11 10:25:19 MDT 2020

Sorry for the long delay.  We lost internet service for a few days right after Neil sent this note and I forgot all about this when it returned.  Neil asked a really good question: “Why you would want fog & spot lights on together?”

I am ashamed to admit that I never really gave this much serious thought.  My unsatisfactory answer is that there was a period switch available to do this and I wanted the functionality of that switch without the looks* of it.  However, now that Neil asks the question, I am left wondering if this is really worth it.  I live near the coast and a fog light would be nice, and there are times when I would love to have the addition of a driving light, but would I ever really want them both on?  I assume there must be a good reason, since 1) Wipac made the switches for a while and 2) they seem to be a desirable accessory for many classic car owners.  Can anyone here give me a good reason why I should go to the trouble of wiring the lights so that both can be used at once?

Thanks, and thanks to Neil for making me step back and consider this.

Jim

*Someone asked me for a photo of that switch outside the group discussion.  For anyone else who is interested, you can see pictures here: wipac rallyman switch <https://www.google.com/search?rls=en&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=wipac+rallyman+switch&client=safari&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiMgqbumqzpAhXKl3IEHd3SAxsQsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1440&bih=728>