[Shop-talk] Quick welding question- It's ok to use an 100% argon tank on it's side, correct?

Arvid arvidj999 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 08:50:15 MDT 2020

My understanding of the "vertical position" was based on acetylene tanks. Most other tanks are 100% gas but IIRC acetylene is partially a liquid and therefore laying it on it's side would not provide "just the gas" that would be at the top of a vertical tank to come out.

*Acetylene*gas is mixed in*liquid*acetone for safe storage and usage. Acetone in*acetylene cylinders*helps stabilize the gas making it non-reactive within the*cylinder*. In this process,*acetylene*is dissolved in*liquid*acetone under high pressure. The*cylinder*is then filled with porous material like firebrick.

Arvid