[Shop-talk] Quick welding question- It's ok to use an 100% argon tank on it's side, correct?

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Fri May 8 06:42:35 MDT 2020

I have done this before without issue.  BUT if you lay a high pressure
bottle down without a transport cap on it, you need a safety cage to
protect the valve.  Mythbusters demonstrated what happened if the valve
gets knocked off when one of these is in a horizontal position, so probably
a good idea to take precautions.  Most of the ones I have seen are just an
oversized transport cap with open sides.  The one I really liked was the
version they use on nitrogen bottles at race tracks.  It has an oversized
square cage that attaches to the bottle.  This not only protects the valve,
it also prevents the bottle from rolling around when it is on it's side.

--
= Never offend people with style when you   =