[Shop-talk] attic fan switches (does this exist?)

Peter Murray peterwmurray at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 09:00:01 MDT 2020

My solution is to have a switch in-line with the thermostat, in our
upstairs hallway. When I don't want to hear the fan at 11pm, I switch it
off.

My fan in my attic has the standard mechanical thermostat that came with
it. I think I set it a hair too low, or the hysteresis is too broad,
because it'll still be running at 11pm. Then again, we've had 27+ days of
90+ here in Northern Virginia. It is nearly 11am here now and 89 degrees,
and the fan is not on yet. (Hmm, did I turn the switch back on?)

I know, Pat's heart bleeds for me.

I like the idea of making operation of the fan a bit more sophisticated,
but writing Arduino code is likely more than my wife, 3 kids under 8 and
self-employment will allow. I'm looking at Home Assistant and some Z-Wave
devices, but need to do more research before I start spending on hardware.

The problem I'd had was that I wanted the fan to run to reduce melting when
we had ice dams developing at the roof edge. Of course, the proper solution
is to improve my insulation up there!

-Peter