[Shop-talk] Oil Extractors

David Scheidt dmscheidt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 06:48:11 MST 2020

> On Jan 17, 2020, at 20:08, Bob Spidell via Shop-talk <shop-talk at autox.team.net> wrote:
>
> Folks,
>
> What do y'all use to suck oil out of small engines?  I've got one of these, but it never worked worth a damn and the tubing got brittle and cracked pretty quickly:
>
> https://tinyurl.com/uh4p7l6
>
> The problem with it is no matter how fast I pumped there would never be sufficient vacuum in the canister to move the oil up and out of a sump.  I've got several small displacement engines that need their oil changed regularly--one is a gravel compactor that weighs over 200lbs--and trying to tip the engine enough to drain the oil is a real hassle (and messy).  Anyone know of something that works (I see HF has something similar, but the reviews are mixed and it seems to have the same issues as the 'Topsider').

My dad had one of those, and he and I used it for decades. I replaced the hoses a couple times, with stuff from whardware or auto parts store.   The tricks were to get hoses that fit properly, and a better clamp to pinch the hose off with. Also hot oil, and keep the hose in the oil the whole time. (If it can suck air, the vacuum is gone fast. Close the valve and pump it back up,)

I never used it on any thing but a small engines, on random lawn and farm tools, with a sump capacity of a couple quarts tops.