[Shop-talk] another toilet issue

David Scheidt dmscheidt at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 12:28:30 MDT 2020

> On Aug 22, 2020, at 16:38, Tim . <tims_datsun_stuff at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> While trying to sort the valve on our upstairs toilet, the toilet itself now doesn't fully flush. The tank bits cycle, the toilet fills, but it only drains slowly. It doesn't "gurgle" (for lack of a better term) at the end.
>
> This has been going on for over a week now so I doubt there is anything stuck. (no feminine products in use in our house any more so that is not an issue.) I've plunged the hell out of it, pushing down and also sucking up with plunger. I can't really get a  snake to go very far into the trap so not much help there.

Does the bowl empty properly if you pour a bucket of water in it?  If so, it is a problem with the non drain side. If not, it’s the drain side. I would start with a closet auger, which is the special snake for toilets.  (They’re cheap. Go buy one.).   It’s pretty common for a build up of toilet paper to cause slow
drainage. The auger takes care of that and will remove most other obstructions, as well.