[Shop-talk] multimeter recommendations

Richard George rkg at teleport.com
Fri Aug 21 20:15:28 MDT 2020

+1 on Ronnie's comment.  I had to chase an electrical fault in the
better half's car a couple of days ago and had wit to realize it might
be faster with a meter with a clamp on ammeter (worked great, fwiw - I
can't figure out why I didn't get one sooner). I've used fluke gear a
lot in a prior life - it is really nice gear, but the nosebleed pricing
is hard to justify unless its earning money for you or you use it a LOT.
I ended up getting a Klein CL390 from the orange borg-er, Home Depot -
the unit seemed pretty well put together though maybe the big brother
(cl800) would have been better (it has a different display that might be
more readable in adverse conditions).  I guess I'll see how long it lasts.

Good Luck on your choice,

rkg

(Richard George)