[Shop-talk] multimeter recommendations

John T. Blair jblair1948 at cox.net
Fri Aug 21 18:24:54 MDT 2020

At 07:24 PM 8/21/2020, you wrote:

 >Good evening, all. So, my trusty craftsman
multimeter has decided to give up the
 > ghost and I’m seeking insights on what I
might replace it with. Looked at the
 >Fluke website, and reminded myself why I bought the craftsman in the first
 >place. Not saying the Fluke stuff isn’t rock
solid, but value for the dollar spent
 >when you’re a casual user really isn’t there. Applications are home and
 >automotive in nature. Basic functionality:
AC/DC voltage, resistance/continuity are
 >must haves thermocouple inputs are a highly
rated nice to have Autoranging is
 >also a must have What are folks out there using that you would recommend?

Tom,

You said mostly for home and automotive use.  Not sure why the requiremets fo
the thermocouple and auto ranging.

But I've got a bunch of multimeters.  I have a
ton of the cheap HF digital ones,
one in every car, one in every tool box & bag, and almost one in every room of
the house.  They are the most accurate, but I've has some for well over 10 yrs.

I have so many because they are so cheap Free to $4.

However, I prefer analog meters.  The seem to be
"steadier" than the digital one.
Many time the digital ones take too long to
reacquire their setting.  I've got about 5
analog meters,  one in my tool box, and another
one in my automotive speciality tool box, with my
dwell tach meter.  Then I've got a couple of old
radio shack meters that I really like.  A simpson
which is the top of the heap, and a Voltohmist
Jr. VTVM.

So it depends on what you really want.  I don't
think you need a $200 meter, but
then again I may be wrong.

That LUKE meter John Innis has really looks like a good buy.

I don't see that you need to spend pro dollar for a meter that you aren't using
every day all the time.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net

                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/morgan
Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction