[Shop-talk] misshapen hex nuts

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Fri May 31 11:09:45 MDT 2019

My son and I just replaced struts on his 2002 Toyota Avalon.  With
the new parts we received the nuts you can see in the attached
picture.  The hex shape is not normal.  It is as though it was
crushed side to side.  The distance from point to opposite point is
significantly greater for one pair of points.  No socket I have will
fit on these.  A 15 mm socket is the closest, which is not a very
common choice.  I was set to write this all off as crappy Chinese
parts, but I found the same nuts with both the strut and the sway bar
link.  They are different brands and were purchased separately. Maybe
both buy their nuts from the same crappy nut supplier.  Anyway, I
just thought I would check if I am missing something.  Is there some
kind of locking nut that is intentionally made this way?

-Steve T.

---