[Shop-talk] Cheap, strong, flat file storage?

Jim Franklin jamesf at groupwbench.org
Sun Jan 20 18:38:26 MST 2019

An artist friend needs a way to store a lot of flat paper material but on many different shelves; essentially a drafting storage unit but at an artist's price. Safco has stackable plastic units similar to desktop units that hold 8.5x11 paper, but they're 42 x 30 or so. Problem is they cost about $60 per tray. Used drafting storage units are still many $100s.

We're trying to come up with a thin, strong material that can be slid into slots in a frame, kind of like baking sheets on a rolling cart. The frame needs to roll and be strong enough not to rack when moved.

I've made bookshelves and entertainment centers with 3/4 melamine and threaded rod, but that's heavy and wobbly.  Even 1/4 plywood tends to buckle and needs to have a finished edge.

Any ideas on what to use or repurpose?

thanks,
jim