[Shop-talk] "helping hand" for soldering - recommendation?

Pat Horne patintexas at icloud.com
Fri May 11 10:21:36 MDT 2018

Most of this type of tool, even the $100 ones require something to add stability.  I’ve mounted them to pieces of steel or used a C clamp to hold them in place.

One thing about alligator clips is that they are designed to make electrical connection, so will probably damage insulation, especially when soldering wire. At least put some heat shrink tubing or Tygon-type tubing over the clips. These will spread out the pressure.

If you don’t use it often, go cheap. If you expect it to last go higher.

Pat Horne
We support Caldwell County Habitat for Humanity