[Shop-talk] Wiring a UK appliance in the US?

Matt Mahoney MattMahony at Comcast.net
Sun Nov 12 13:56:55 MST 2017

European power distribution uses one hot leg and neutral to make
220/240. North American power uses two 120 volt hot legs to add up to
240 and the neutral is half way between at ground potential. So a
European cooker has L N E (Line, Neutral, Earth) markings and North
American appliances have L1, L2, N, G. (L1 = Line 1, L2 = Line 2, G =
Ground = Earth.)  UK/European color codes are all over the map but NA
wire colors use Black and Red for hot legs, white for neutral and green
or bare copper for ground. Hook up NA Black and Red to UK L and N.  Hook
NA Green or Bare Copper to UK E. Don't  connect NA White (N) to
anything. As long as the induction part of the system doesn't care about
60 Hz. vs 50 Hz. it should work.

Hope this helps.

Another Matt