[Shop-talk] shop laptop power source

David Scheidt dmscheidt at gmail.com
Tue May 30 17:44:40 MDT 2017

> On May 30, 2017, at 17:46, Ronnie Day <ronnie.day at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You have to worry about how much current the power adapter can supply, too. Universal adapters generally fall far short of the requirements for most laptops, especially larger ones. The Dell XPS 17 that I have calls for something like 19.2 volts/DC @ 15 amps. Anything less than a unit requires and at the very least you'll probably burn out the PSU and you may very well damage the computer.

Very unlikely with a good laptop. If they draw more current than the charger can provide, they just drain the battery.  Many laptops can draw more power than the charger can provide, when Theyre running full speed.  Modern laptops have very variable power draw and most of the time they're running at much less than maximum.

> It's similar to putting a compressor that draws 17 to 18 amps on a circuit that has a 15 amp breaker. It just won't work.

It's much more like running a 10cfm tool on an 8 cfm compressor.  If your duty cycle is too high, it won't work, but if it is lower, it's fine.