[Shop-talk] shop laptop power source

Ronnie Day ronnie.day at gmail.com
Tue May 30 16:46:27 MDT 2017

You have to worry about how much current the power adapter can supply, too.
Universal adapters generally fall far short of the requirements for most
laptops, especially larger ones. The Dell XPS 17 that I have calls for
something like 19.2 volts/DC @ 15 amps. Anything less than a unit requires
and at the very least you'll probably burn out the PSU and you may very
well damage the computer. It's similar to putting a compressor that draws
17 to 18 amps on a circuit that has a 15 amp breaker. It just won't work.

If you want a "universal" power supply I'd suggest a lab quality adjustable
bench supply rated at 25 volt at 20 amps or so. You can make the power
pigtails. It won't be cheap but it'll work and you're risking a meltdown or
a fire..

Just Sayin',
RD