[Shop-talk] Testing for moisture in a concrete floor

David Scheidt dmscheidt at gmail.com
Mon May 22 12:40:52 MDT 2017

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 8:43 PM, Jim Stone <1789alpine at gmail.com> wrote:

> The test kit says to do the test when the humidity is between 40% and 60%.
> That isn’t possible here.  It was much higher for the first test, probably
> 60-90% over the three days and included a day of rain.  This test was
> 60-70%, about normal around here.  While the space is heated, it isn’t
> air-conditioned and it didn’t occur to me that I could have put a
> dehumidifier there until just now.

Run a dehumidifier.  Get the humidity down to acceptable levels, keep
it there for several days, and repeat the test.  It's not impossible
that your floors are that wet, especially if you have a high water
table or poor drainage around the garage.  How much more humid is the
garage compared to the surrounding free air?  If it's much higher,
there's moisture moving into the garage form somewhere, and the floor
is most likely.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt at gmail.com