[Shop-talk] Fuel Octanes

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun May 7 12:32:35 MDT 2017

Depends on the wording in the manual.  If it says something to the
effect of '91 or better is REQUIRED,' then you need 91.  If it says
something to the effect of '91 or better is RECOMMENDED' then you can
probably use a lesser grade.  Most cars designed in at least the last
decade or so have knock sensors and are under computer control; if the
computer detects knock it will retard timing and possibly enrichen the
mixture--and change the cam timing if it's able--which could result in
loss of mileage that might more than offset the cheaper price for the fuel.

My 2008 Mustang GT's manual says '91 octane or better recommended'--or
similar, I'm too lazy to look--but does say that the car will run on 87
octane.  My dad had a 500 gallon fuel tank of 87 for his tractors and I
would fill the Mustang with it when I got the chance, and I didn't
notice much difference in performance, but it did seem to have a very
slight stumble when I punched it (I could very well have imagined it).
The manual claimed a loss of about 10lb-ft of torque around 3,500RPM, on
a 315HP engine with about 340lb-ft of torque.   I also tried 95-octane a
couple times but it didn't make much if any difference in day-to-day
driving.  I've never heard of a modern car being damaged by using a
lesser fuel, and can't think of a mechanism that would cause damage
given the computer 'has your back;' not like an older car with
mechanical timing where you could very well blow a hole in a piston due
to detonation.

I suspect, but have no proof, that the engineers who designed the engine
would, as a matter of pride, like for their customers to get the best
possible performance--esp. in a 'high end' vehicle like a MB--but unless
you're really pushing the engine I don't think you can hurt it using
lower grade fuel.

I'd run 91--you didn't buy an expensive German luxury SUV just to pinch
pennies, did you?

Bob