[Shop-talk] Tracked stump grinder

Mark Meany mmeany7 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 08:59:19 MDT 2017

Jim,
I rented, from Home Depot, the track version of what they had to offer. It
came on its own trailer requiring a 2in ball and the simple four prong
lighting connection. It was set up on the trailer such that it was balanced
and as you started to back the unit off the trailer, the trailer bed would
tip back to facilitate unloading. No humping required. I am 64 years old
and I'm in pretty good shape. I had many large stumps, easily in excess of
3 ft in diameter, which I wanted to take out. I rented it for the full day
for about $275. I had white pine, Poplar, and black cherry to take care of.
I was all done in 4 hours so just started driving around my lot looking for
other smaller stumps to get rid of. Highly recommended but as another
poster said, I imagine the track version is much more stable than a wheeled
version. Besides,  driving  something around  with tracks  is just so cool.
You can contact me directly if you want any more specifics.