[Shop-talk] Garage Floor Epoxy

Rochlin Robert rrochlin at comcast.net
Sun Apr 30 19:23:48 MDT 2017

I epoxied my garage floor last May. I used Rustolum  Rock Solid Epoxy. I would rate my results about a C+/B.
As far as advice:
	I spent about 7 hours preparing the floor.  You only get one shot after the epoxy cures so make sure everything is well repaired and all the grease and oil are removed from the floor.  I ended up renting a concrete grinder to make sure that all the oil was removed and the floor was reasonably smooth.
	If you use Rock Solid plan on about 2 and1/2 times the product recommended.
	Don’t apply on a warm day
	Have a friend help.  You need to work too fast for one person to  successfully apply the epoxy in the open time you have
	Mix each bag throughly, there are issues with color consistency
	If I were doing it again I would apply one coat, and apply a second coat within 24 hours as the material is very hard to spread evenly.  One the second 		  coat use the color flakes to cover any imperfections.
	After the epoxy fully cures you’re finished for better or worse as you then need to grind off the finish to refinish.

	The up side is that the finish is good looking extremely hard, it's been impervious to anything that I’ve spilled on it. It also is a pleasure to keep clean.  When I need to sweep up the dirt does not come up in a cloud and cover everything with dust.
	The only downside I’ve experienced is that it is EXTREMELY slippery when it has oil or snow (not so much water) on it. I’ve taken to putting sand down around the snow blower to keep from slipping and being careful to put down oil dry. Oil is an easy cleanup, it comes up with light wiping.  Rustoleum sales an anti skid additives that make it less slippery.
	Hope this helps.
	Bob