[Shop-talk] Epoxy garage floor coatings

Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA gsteve at hammatt.com
Sun Apr 30 16:25:10 MDT 2017

Just my response to coatings:
I kept hearing of problems with garage floor coatings.
While I’m sure that there are many instances that have
been great applications and very successful, I decided
that rather than run into problems I’d just get the best floor
poured and finished by the best cement contractor my gen’l
contractor found over many years.  We added some grey/black coloring
to the mix, did all the right things with base, insulation and
plastic film, etc.  We’ve spent a ton of $ on this 2k sf garage
and I didn’t have the stamina to run into a problem with a
disappointing floor finish (like the last time).  So we simply
filled all the saw cuts with epoxy and finish polished the floor
to a very smooth surface.  Everybody asked why I didn’t epoxy
or otherwise finish the floor (trust me, everything else in the
garage is FINISHED, including an elevator, 5/8” drywall everywhere,
two bathrooms, office floor is VGF end grain blocks, three heat
pumps, two TVs, etc) but the floor is simply nicely finished
concrete.
Anyway, that’s my story.....

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA