[Shop-talk] More internet questions

Brian Kemp bk13 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 17 19:07:32 MDT 2017

I have a 1957 house that had phone jacks all over the place in my
current house.  Initially the phone company connected the line, but I
was only getting about 1 MB/s, so we disconnected all jacks except my
office area and the master bedroom at the rats nest under the house.
The office has the modem and the bedroom has the cordless phone base
unit.  The signal went up to 2.5 MB/s, which is the best I can get in my
area unless I go with the cable company.

We were doing some renovations and I had to move my desktop computer, so
needed to activate one of the disconnected phone jacks.  I moved the
phone base unit temporarily to that jack I wanted to activate and
clipped all the disconnected green wires together then put the phone on
speaker.  I then touched the red wires to the connection block one at a
time until I heard dial tone on the phone.  I then connected that one
additional wire pair at the junction and the signal stayed good.

Two years later, my wife setup her laptop work area about as far away
from the wifi router as she could get then complained that the signal
was bad.  I ran a 100' premade Cat 5e cable from the DSL router through
a closet into the crawlspace and down to the end of the house.  I then
made a hole in the air duct and ran the network cable out the floor
register behind her desk and added a new router.  Now she has good
signal and I have good signal.

I made the decision not to have that second router under control of the
DSL router.  That means my computer can't see the wife and kids
computers and their computers can't see mine.  I consider that to be a
good thing.

What I'm getting at is maybe you have an easy way to activate a
different phone jack for the DSL router and move it where you want it.
You may also have an easy way to run a network cable from the modem to
your desktop, perhaps through a closet up to the attic or down to the
basement.

You can use a site like speedtest.net to check your signal before adding
new wire and after to see if you have any degradation.

Good luck,

Brian