[Shop-talk] More internet questions

Dave Cavanaugh cavanadd at frontier.com
Mon Apr 17 13:11:50 MDT 2017

We're moving into an old, 850 square foot house on the Utah property
where we'll be building our new home.  The house was originally built in
the 1880s and has been remodeled, or at least modified, a number of
times.  The phone wiring looks like it was installed by drunken
chimpanzees.

I met the guy from CenturyLink at the house last week and he hooked up
one line from the service entrance to the master bedroom.  That is the
only live phone outlet in the house at this point, although there are
numerous dead outlets and wires snaking around the walls, all of which
will get yarded out.  The DSL router is sitting on the bedroom window
sill, and the only phone in the house is connected to the router and
likewise sitting on the window sill.  We will probably be in this house
about a year, so this setup is sub optimal.  The good news is I'm
getting 12 MPS download speed (according to the tech on his hand held
device) and 10+ MPS on my wifi laptop and phone.  This is much better
than the 1.2 MPS I'm getting on my current setup in Washington.

I eventually need to get a hardwired ethernet connection to my desktop
computer when we get moved in, and the desktop needs to be in the other
bedroom about 25 feet away.  I would also like to get the router out of
the master bedroom and into the office.  However, I have been doing some
reading and it looks like if I extend a phone line from the master BR to
the other BR, the signal could degrade over the phone cable before it
hits the router.  The alternative would be to leave the router in the
master BR and run an ethernet cable from the back of the router to the
other BR/office, and then run some phone-only circuits from the jack in
the bedroom to the kitchen and office, using DSL filters on the lines.
It also looks like there is a lot of disparity in phone cable, so I want
to get the good stuff, right?

I have a crimper (or two) and have made up phone and data cables with
modular connections before, with reasonable success.  Any suggestions?

---