[Shop-talk] rag disposal

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Fri Apr 14 15:49:22 MDT 2017

Home/shop fire is always my biggest fear.  (That includes over my own
death!)

A few months ago, I was working on a handle for a knife I was making.  I
had used the bench top belt sander a bunch.
About 40/50 mins later, I was smelling smoke.  I couldn't figure it out,
until I saw smoke coming from the belt sander (inside.)

Turns out, the saw dust had built up and there was enough heat to ignite
it.  I'm guessing it was a combination of the wood type I was sanding, the
small fine dust I was producing (very fine grit sand paper) and the heat
over time.

Worst was that I had to disassemble the sander to get to the fire, so it
was still smoldering as I was unbolting covers and trying to figure out
how to get to the part I needed to.

Thanks for sharing the video link!

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
Waldo Emerson