[Shop-talk] cutting plate with ox/acyt torch

Dave Cavanaugh cavanadd at frontier.com
Thu Nov 17 19:00:23 MST 2016

First, clean your tip really well and have good flame shape.  Then make
sure you have enough oxygen pressure and a good neutral flame when the
trigger is pulled.  Make sure you have enough preheat and a slow enough
rate of advance.  If that doesn't work then go up at least one size,
maybe two.  3/4" is pretty stout.  What brand of torch are you using?

On 11/17/2016 3:12 PM, john niolon wrote:
> usually my torch cutting is on 1/4” or less plate and my torch handles
> it fine
> got a piece of 3/4” steel plate I need to cut and my torch isn’t
> cutting clean or cutting completely through...
> I think probably I need a larger tip..  think mine is a “0” or a
> “1”...  or course you need to factor in the operator...
> do you think that’s my problem ???   what tip size would you recommend
> thanks
> john

---